Filed under: Estate Planning — Christopher J. Berry @ 8:43 pm
There was a great estate planning article I stumbled across thanks to another Michigan estate planning lawyer colleague of mine. CNNMoney.com has an informative article on the Top Things to Know regarding estate planning.
As a Michigan estate planning attorney, it is good to see some attention called to the need for estate planning. The list of the things to know include:
- No matter your net worth, it’s important to have a basic estate plan in place;
- An estate plan has several elements;
- Taking inventory of your assets is a good place to start;
- Everybody needs a will;
- Trusts aren’t just for the wealth;
- Discussing your estate plans with your heirs may prevent disputes or confusion;
- The Federal Estate Tax exemption–the amount you may leave to heirs free of federal tax–changes regularly;
- You may leave an unlimited amount of money to your spouse tax-free, but this isn’t always the best tactic.
- There are two easy ways to give gifts tax-free and reduce your estate
- There are ways to giver charitable gifts that keep on giving.
You can read the details of this top ten list at Top things to know.
Special thanks to Michael Lictherman for calling attention to the article.
Filed under: Estate Planning — Christopher J. Berry @ 7:16 pm
As Michigan estate planning attorneys, we help our clients use, preserve, protect and transfer their wealth responsibly, to provide for themselves, their children and to perpetuate their goals, dreams and values for future generations.
Filed under: Estate Planning — Christopher J. Berry @ 2:03 am
With the new year upon us, it’s never to early (or late as the case may be) to plan for your future and your family’s future. A very important piece of the planning is your family’s estate planning. New Jersey estate planning lawyer Michael Manna has a great post on planning for the future on his blog, which you can read here: It’s Never Too Early to Start Planning for the Future.